TransferWise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 8 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
We are looking for an engineering lead to join a new team to look after our purpose built in house service mesh and AWS Cloud networking architecture. This new team will have a wide remit on how we discover/connect/secure/scale our microservices and AWS estate.
For our customers, using TransferWise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on TransferWise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
Service Platform Connect team sits within our Platform tribe at TransferWise, which designs, builds and operates the foundation technologies that power a product that moves £4bn every month.
In TransferWise, our platform technical leads both lead a specific domain from roadmap through to operation, as well as the people side of the team. Read on if this sounds interesting.
We recognise skills can be acquired but ideally you have 3 or more of the following:
- Strong coding skills in Java, with familiarity with Go or Python.
- Experience with microservices architecture (we have 500+) running in an containerised environment – ideally Kubernetes
- Exposure or experience working with Service Mesh Architectures i.e istio, linkerd
- Broad design and operational experience on public cloud – ideally on AWS
- Networking knowledge of fundamentals in either cloud or on-prem deployments: DNS, network, routing, L3/L7 protocols etc.
- Passion for automation, building and testing the tooling needed to build better products
Nice to Have:
- AWS Cloud Networking i.e Transit Gateway, Peering, VPN
- Experience with Calico/Network Policies
- Passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems.
- Exposure and understanding of security best practices, implementations and standards i.e PCI DSS, defense in depth, network isolation.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Help Transferwise achieve its mission by building on one of the key foundation technology layers at the heart of our platform
- Choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define your roadmap and responsibility for making it happen
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude
- Travel to work with our teams in London, Budapest, Tallinn and Singapore.
A bit about you:
- You have previous experience of leading and mentoring a team of engineer in a similar role
- You understand the value of balancing customer centric thinking and technical skills and can coach other engineers on both
- You're comfortable and confident providing input to other teams' priorities
- Transferwise is rapidly expanding so you know what it takes to keep pace with rapid business growth.
- You enjoy creating an inspiring team environment where ideas are shared, and openness is valued
- You have been involved in designing and operating business critical information systems, including 24/7 support
- Your role will be a combination of coaching and leading a talented team of engineers and doing hands-on contribution
- With a high level of autonomy, you’ll work closely with your engineers, to make both product and project decisions.
- Working with others in the platform and the broader engineering teams on a shared platform vision.
Some of your focus areas will be:
- Building your team: You’ll help your team to work together and bring out individual strengths. Using an agile approach you’ll put in place the structures you feel your team needs and communicate effectively. You’ll play an active part in hiring, onboarding and growing your team to increase your capacity to take on bigger challenges.
- Ensuring technical excellence: You’ll be a hands-on engineer who can teach best practices within your team. You’ll play a leading role in technical design as well as project delivery. You’ll help the team with maintaining quality of delivery and take personal ownership of the products the team ships.
- Project planning and prioritisation: You’ll help the team focus on the needs of your customers (of TransferWise and 300 engineers!) By understanding those needs you’ll help them determine which projects will be most impactful, and by defining project scope, you’ll help them prioritise and manage their work.
- Coaching: You’ll have regular one-to-ones with your team, helping your engineers to work through both technical and personal challenges. You’ll help them to improve and develop over time, and to meet their personal objectives
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Not for you?
Sign up for email job alerts and you’ll be the first to know when other jobs like this become available.
Explore our London office
You can find TransferWise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.