TransferWise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 8 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we’re looking for an Engineering Team Lead to join our Engineering Experience team in London. You’ll be responsible for identifying challenges faced by our Engineers in different teams and lead the development of tools to enable them to work more efficiently.
You’ll receive a competitive package including generous stock options and private healthcare amongst other benefits.
As a Team Lead you'll be expected to give your team members a high level of autonomy while assisting and mentoring them in a number of areas:
- Team health: You’ll be responsible for the overall health and productivity of the Engineers within your team. You’ll help with setting the culture, and identifying and implementing the right approaches for working.
- Architecture: Engineering Experience is responsible for providing tools for other engineers. When the team is making technical decisions you’ll provide feedback on architecture and approach, and help them make smart decisions about managing debt while creating new features.
- Engineering culture: You’ll lead a team responsible for understanding the pain-points faced by different teams. You’ll spend time thinking about the TransferWise Engineering organisation as a whole and focus on questions like: How do we continue to scale our team and our systems? What steps do we need to take to ensure teams are productive and have the required tools to perform high-quality releases?
- Technical contribution: Working with your team and solving organisation level challenges and at times you’ll jump in and help your teams get a project over the line, or help them solve thorny technical challenges.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision and responsibility for making it happen
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude
A bit about you:
- You have a deep understanding about the development cycle as a whole
- You’re passionate about helping other engineers by creating tools and processes that allow them to be productive and perform high-quality releases
- You’ve worked with Java, preferably with Spring Boot – coding will be a big part of your job
- You’re keen to collaborate with other dynamic teams, whether they’re product or platform, to gather requirements and create a shared vision
- You’re comfortable working within teams that face big challenges. From taking ownership over the internal tools that the team owns to shaping the vision for how to leverage engineering at TransferWise to be smooth and painless
- You enjoy creating an inspiring team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You have strong experience with good testing practices in a microservices architecture
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
Some extra skills that would be awesome:
- You’ve worked with large distributed systems
- Experience with Kubernetes, Python and frontend development are a plus, too
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work – a practical guide
- TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- Engineering team blog
- How our Engineers build new features
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Not for you?
Sign up for email job alerts and you’ll be the first to know when other jobs like this become available.
Stories from the Engineering team
Explore our London office
You can find TransferWise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.