We are looking for a “hands on” Cloud Engineer or Architect to join our growing team in London.
The team is responsible for building and designing the foundations of the platform in AWS. This includes: bakery functions around provisioning and hardening, connectivity (internal and external), and cost mapping/optimization.
TransferWise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
You’ll be part of a small team of engineers and architects who design and build out the platform according to both strategic goals and operational needs. You’ll be responsible for growing the platform in Amazon Web Services, and expanding our reach both globally and in scale.
We operate on a strong belief in full automation, programmatic implementation, and repeatable design patterns. We’re looking for people who can step outside the system and come up with robust architectures, but also follow through and help implement the design; drawing on the resources across the rest of the platform tribe. Someone in-between engineer and architect would be ideally placed to fill this role.
Our AWS estate is becoming ever more complex, and we need to absorb the scale of our growing user base, whilst constantly improving our up time and availability. We also need to control costs as we grow: monitoring cost and adoption patterns of the estate, and optimizing where possible. The cloud engineer/architect will be a key driver in this regard, and will take ownership for a wide range of AWS products.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across TransferWise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Travel (when things get back to a new normal) to work with our teams in London and Budapest as well as meet various partners and organizations when needed
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starting attitude
What does it take?
- The ability to convince and get your voice heard – you’re comfortable making a case for what you want to do
- Experience being a self starter and working autonomously
- The mindset to solve problems from scratch
- Make appropriate trade offs when it comes to design and delivery, iterate where possible – regular feedback is part of our culture
- Experience with AWS products at scale and complexity
- A Proven track record on architecting AWS networks
- Experience with taking single-region systems global
- Experience with defining service catalogs and constraints
- Previous Experience with; JVM applications, Databases (PostgreSQL/MySQL)
- Ran projects and are a self starter
- Are familiar and have some experience around Risk and Reliability topics
- A security mindset
- Great communication skills,verbally as well as written
- A holistic view on a lot of different moving parts, and are able to identify where you can add impact and upset the norm
Technologies that we use and would like you to have some experience with;
- Terraform (module design, CI)
- VPC design/architecture
- Transit Gateway
- Partner VPN connectivity
What you get back:
- The autonomy to solve problems your way
- The freedom to have real impact
- Loads of development opportunities
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- The opportunity to work with super smart people
And more… Check out our offer here.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work – a practical guide
- TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- Engineering team blog
- How our Engineers build new features
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Not for you?
Sign up for email job alerts and you’ll be the first to know when other jobs like this become available.
Explore our London office
You can find TransferWise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.