TransferWise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 7 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we’re looking for a passionate, hands-on Engineering Manager to join us. You’ll be a “lead of leads” working with the technical leads who sit in our Treasury and Finance teams working on coaching and development but also dive deep into technical details of these complicated domains.
The teams you’ll be working with:
Treasury and Finance
Our Treasury and Finance teams work with similar financial data, but do very different things.
Treasury manages liquidity and foreign currency exposure. Their focus is on minimising the risk and cost of offering our currencies to customers. They make sure accurate funds are in our currency accounts whilst keeping us compliant.
Finance looks after financial accounting, business monitoring and represents TransferWise financials to board, investors, regulators and auditors. Their focus is making sure financial processes are controlled in an efficient and scalable way and make sure our financial reporting is timely and accurate.
Although the goals of the teams are different it’s essential they’re aligned in their decision-making and both contribute to making our business financially sustainable.
That’s where you come in. Your mission is to help us design and build a unified environment across these domains and make sure financial movements from our systems are aligned.
A bit about you:
- You’re ready to roll your sleeves up and check code or data to help teams to move forward. So, you’re comfortable leading from the front in an active and involved way
- You’re data driven in your decision making process
- You'll have experience leading, coaching and mentoring, mission-driven and high performing teams. You'll lead engineers across multiple teams and locations.
- You've got experience building and designing scalable financial systems that make significant contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You're comfortable working within teams that face company level challenges and are ready to take ownership of defining strategy and its execution
- You enjoy creating an inspiring team environment that encourages sharing and openness and are comfortable being hands on and getting stuck in
- You've worked with Java, Spring framework and asynchronous message queues
- You have experience in building OLAP and OLTP solutions with SQL databases
Don’t worry…We don’t expect you to know everything!
Some extra skills that would be awesome:
- Experience with AWS, Kubernetes and service mesh architectures
- Experience with microservices architecture
- You’re interested in designing complicated, data heavy processing models
- You have a passion for finance, foreign exchange and payment systems
Level: Engineering Manager, leading 5 teams
Our recruitment process:
- Application review
- Phone screen with Recruiter and Engineering Manager
- Tech Interview (system design and a conversation about your previous experience)
- Product Interview
- Case Study presentation and Final interview with Engineering Manager / CTO
Interested? Find out more:
At TransferWise our strategy emerges from the collective brainpower of all our people, who are organised in dozens of independent, autonomous teams. Teams stay closest to our customers, so they choose what problems to solve and where to spend the most time.
You’ll experience radical levels of ownership and empowerment within your role. Plus the opportunity to see the direct impact of your work on our customers.
If you’d like to understand our culture and product better, here are a couple of handy resources:
- How we work – a practical guide
- TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- Engineering team blog
- How our Engineers build new features
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Not for you?
Sign up for email job alerts and you’ll be the first to know when other jobs like this become available.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.