We’re looking for a Technical Lead to join our growing team in Tallinn. The role is a unique opportunity to join one of the fastest growing companies in Europe and to lead one of our engineering areas in helping millions more potential customers save money by using TransferWise.
You’ll receive a competitive package including generous stock options amongst other benefits.
As a Technical Lead you’ll lead one of our product teams. You’ll be expected to give your team members a high level of autonomy while assisting and mentoring them in a number of areas:
- Team health: You’ll be responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers within your teams, will help to set the right culture, and implement the right approaches.
- Architecture: When your teams are making technical decisions you’ll provide feedback on architecture and approach, and help them make smart decisions about managing debt while creating new features
- Engineering culture: You’ll have an overview of what’s going on across the organisation, and connect up teams and individuals who are working on mutually beneficial projects. You’ll spend time thinking about TransferWise engineering as a whole, how do we continue to scale our team and our systems? What steps to we need to take ensure our team is happy and productive?
- Technical contribution: Working with your teams and solving organisation level challenges will consume a lot of your time, but at times you’ll jump in and help your teams get a project over the line, or help them solve thorny technical challenges.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision and responsibility for making it happen
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude
- Travel to work with our teams in London, Budapest and Singapore.
A bit about you:
- You’ll have experience in leading, coaching and mentoring, driven and high performing teams. With extensive technical and leadership expertise you’ll lead engineers across multiple teams and locations
- You’ve got experience building and designing scalable and performant systems and making significant contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’re comfortable working within teams that face big challenges bearing full ownership over the customer journey
- You enjoy creating an inspiring team environment where ideas are shared, and openness is valued
- You’ve worked with Java, Spring framework, asynchronous message queues and have experience with microservices architecture
- Experienced working with SQL databases, query optimisation and transactions.
Some extra skills that would be awesome:
- Expertise in AWS, Kubernetes and service mesh architectures
- Passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems
For a sneak peek into our Engineering world and what it’s like to work here check out:
- Product Engineering Principles @ TransferWise
- How TransferWise works: Your step-by-step guide
- Read about the TransferWise Mission
- From 2 founders to 1000 employees – how we grew into a global community
- Recent news on our growth
A bit about TransferWise:
Since 2011, we’ve had a clear mission: money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
We’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace. We won’t stop until anyone, anywhere can send, spend and receive money wherever they are, whatever they’re doing. There’s still heaps to do and we can’t do it alone.
At TransferWise, you’ll be joining a movement of people who believe in a better, fairer, more transparent way of moving money around the world. You’ll collaborate to do your best work and take on problems that no one has looked at before.
If you’re keen to learn, grow, try new things and aren’t afraid of a bold plan, you’ll fit right in.
How we work:
At TransferWise our strategy emerges from the collective brainpower of all our people, who are organised in dozens of independent, autonomous teams. Teams stay closest to our customers, so they choose what problems to solve and where to spend the most time.
You’ll experience radical levels of ownership and empowerment within your role. Plus the opportunity to see the direct impact of your work on our customers.
Please make sure your applications are submitted in English, as this is our working language.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Not for you?
Sign up for email job alerts and you’ll be the first to know when other jobs like this become available.
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.