We’re looking for experienced and versatile, product minded Java Developers to join one of our growing teams in Budapest – Payments Processing, Verification, Fraud Prevention or Problem Flow among others. The role is an unique opportunity to contribute to scaling-up our Budapest tech hub, and one of the most successful start-ups in Europe. Your work can result in helping millions more potential customers save money by using TransferWise.
- Understanding the reasons behind problematic payments and customer difficulties
- Reviewing, optimising and aligning existing manual processes
- Building convenient self-services that provide good customer experience
- Raising automation level to enable scaling of the product
- We believe in “you build it, you run it.” model where our engineering teams own the entire lifecycle of the product they build including supporting it technically in production. This means our product engineers run an on call rotation.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision and the responsibility for making it happen
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Travel to work with our teams in our offices around the world
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starting attitude
A bit about you:
- You have solid knowledge of Java 8
- You have several years experience with Spring framework and database abstraction layers like Hibernate
- You have experience working with SQL databases, query optimisation and designing schemas
- You have high coding standards – understanding of test coverage best practices & test pyramid concept
- You are familiar with Continuous Delivery approach
- You have experience with Distributed and Concurrent Systems, knowing the tradeoffs between stateful/stateless and synchronous/asynchronous architectures
- You have hands on knowledge of system integration patterns – REST, messaging, Kafka, event streams
Nice to haves:
- Passion about technology and its relationship with product and user experience
- Ability to work independently – identify problems, create plans and implement solutions to them
- Broad understanding of the concept of minimum viable product (MVP)
- Customer is at the heart of everything you do and this empathy drives all decision you make
- Ability to articulate complex and technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Knowledge/interest in payment platforms, foreign exchange & highly complex systems
- Be a customer of TransferWise
A bit about TransferWise:
Since 2011, we’ve had a clear mission: money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
We’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace. We won’t stop until anyone, anywhere can send, spend and receive money wherever they are, whatever they’re doing. There’s still heaps to do and we can’t do it alone.
At TransferWise, you’ll be joining a movement of people who believe in a better, fairer, more transparent way of moving money around the world. You’ll collaborate to do your best work and take on problems that no one has looked at before.
If you’re keen to learn, grow, try new things and aren’t afraid of a bold plan, you’ll fit right in.
How we work:
At TransferWise our strategy emerges from the collective brainpower of all our people, who are organised in dozens of independent, autonomous teams. Teams stay closest to our customers, so they choose what problems to solve and where to spend the most time.
You’ll experience radical levels of ownership and empowerment within your role. Plus the opportunity to see the direct impact of your work on our customers.
Explore our Budapest office
Architecture straight out of a fairytale, unrivalled hospitality and a commendable love of paprika… our office in 'Angel Land' awaits.
Stories from the Engineering team
Start your application
Latest Engineering roles
We’re looking for a number of Engineering Leads to join our growing team in London. The role is a unique opportunity to join one of the fastest growing companies in Europe and to lead one of our engineering areas in helping millions more potential...
Mobile Developer – iOS
Who we are? TransferWise was founded in 2011 with a clear mission: Money without borders – so people and businesses can send and receive any currency effortlessly, whenever, wherever. Sure, the heart of what we do is international money transfer....
Senior Java Developer
We’re looking for an experienced and versatile, product minded Java Developer to join our growing team in Tallinn. The role is an unique opportunity to contribute to scaling-up our Estonian office and one of the most successful start-ups in Europe. Your...